Next week we are taking a family vacation to Florida – Disney here we come!!!!
According to the weather network app, the weather is 33 degrees Celsius but it feels like 45 degrees Celsius. For those that like Fahrenheit- that is 95 feels like 113 degrees! Holy crap! My mind screams HYDRATION, HYDRATION, and HYDRATION!! Proper hydration is the key to my family’s survival next week!!
The human body is comprised of mostly water. Water is essential for life and for optimal health and wellness.
There are many benefits of drinking water. Just to name a few, water helps to regulate body temperature, transport nutrients and oxygen throughout your body, remove waste and toxins from your body, beautify your skin, improve your mood, and helps to protect your organs and joints.
The recommended daily amount of water for an adult is 6-8 eight-ounce glasses of filtered water. In my view, the recommended daily amount should be the start of one’s consumption of water. Each person is vastly different; therefore, I don’t feel there is a one size fits all theory when discussing hydration (and nutrition for that matter!). There are many factors that influence our increased daily requirements for water:
- Activity levels; if a person is active, whether exercising or working, the body will require more water,
- If a person is sick, their water requirements increase to help the body remove toxins,
- If it is hot outside, our bodies sweat and lose water faster than normal, therefore, it is important to increase your water intake in order to prevent dehydration,
- If a woman is pregnant or breastfeeding, her need for water increases,
- Trying to lose weight – water can help you to feel full, which will in turn decrease your appetite, therefore, you will naturally be consuming less calories.
Signs of Dehydration
- Muscle cramps
- Decrease in energy
- Dry mouth
- Dark-yellow colour urine. Your urine should be as close to clear as possible.
Tips for staying hydrated:
1.) Fill a stainless steel water bottle from home and take it with you when you leave home. This also helps to save money and environmental waste, as you won’t be forced to purchase bottled water.
2.) When you first wake up in the morning, have a glass of water. Likewise, before you go to bed, have a glass of water – make it part of your morning and nightly routine – your body will thank you!
3.) Drink a glass of water before each meal.
4.) When you feel hungry, drink water first. The feeling of hunger is sometimes mistaken for thirst.
5.) If you get bored with the taste of water – change it up by adding slices of fresh fruit in your water. For example a lemon slice, cucumber slices, orange or grapefruit slices, and/or a slice of lime.
6.) Nibble on your fresh fruit and raw vegetables for your snacks. Fruits and vegetables consist largely of water therefore, the water can be absorbed by the body and assist in hydration!
Keep your fingers crossed for a cold front to pass through Orlando next week!!!
Please share with us in the comments below your favourite tips to staying hydrated!
Until next time… Drink, drink, drink your cold, filtered water!
Cheers to Hydration,
As always, I remain,
The Natural Food Nut!!